Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Friday, November 13, 2009

A Good Samaritan

Today was the first time in almost three years that I stopped at the gas station to get gas by myself! I found it necessary to stop before I went home because I was on "low fuel" and only had a few miles to go before I ran out!!!

So....bravely I stopped at the pump....looked around at the many people around me....and thought "How am I going to do this?? I can't even get a gas cap off with my contracted fingers....let alone pump gas!!!".

I scoped out the crowd around the gas pumps....looking for a "friendly face"....or perhaps someone I knew, and cautiously pulled the gas cap flap back and attempted to unscrew the cap...with no luck! I felt a little anxious...and felt a little teary eyed...but I took a breath and looking straight into the eyes of a gentleman walking out of pay area I said "Sir....could you please help me?" I gulped as I waited for his answer...and I kept saying to myself..."don't cry...don't cry!!" He gave me a huge grin and walked up to my car and began to assist! Whew...I was relieved..and happy that people still find joy in helping one another out!!!

After $10.00 worth of gas and some small talk...the gentleman politely asked me what illness I had? When I told him it was scleroderma.....he said he had never heard of that...but then I said it was a hard skin disease....he had heard of that!!! He seemed saddened by my situation....and quite sympathetic. All I could think of was what a kind man he was...and I told him several times how much I appreciated his help...and that my husband would be so thankful that he came to my assistance!!!!

After a few minutes, a few gallons of gas, and some friendly conversation, I drove home.....confident in the generosity and benevolence of mankind!!! Or perhaps.....my Good Samaritan!!!!

1 comment:

paintlady said...

a good human interest story