Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Some thoughts from Father's Day.........

Every year for Father's day for the past 26 years I have come up with creative, unique gifts for Ken on his special day......this 27th father's day was different.
According to statistics, this year wives spent an average of $94.00 on their husbands buying gifts like clothes, golf outings, books, grills, bibles, gift cards, recliners, hammocks, tools, photo collages, barbecue supplies... etc. etc.
So here I am.....year 27.....spending zero dollars.....feeling horrible.....and not being able to let it go, until today.....three days after the event.


Basically due to circumstances...we are cutting back on splurges that we used to make........and that has been a big life change. Yet today, in my quiet time with God, I had a peace come over my heart that took that "feeling horrible" mood away. When Ken and I were married almost thirty years ago.....in our vows we promised to love each other......"for richer for poorer", "in sickness or in health". These past months have been a true test of those vows.

I have come to realize that it is not the gift giving that defines our love and commitment to one another....rather, it is a deeper relationship of being one in Christ, serving Him together , raising godly kids, and loving each other unconditionally. That's what truly matters!
The joy we shared by spending this day relaxing together, enjoying good food, playing outside, and even "quad bogging" was engraved on my heart forever.

Oh.......Ken also wanted me to let you know this about our vows. when it came to my portion of the vows I said "I will not let the enthusiasm for my outside activities interfere with the growth of our marriage". (yes people chuckled!!!) And.......next year he would love a Home Depot card!!!!!


"Thank you dear Lord for my husband Ken, for our children, and for our marriage.
Thank you for fathers and their loving influences on their children and their grand children.
Thank you for leading and directing in their lives to better serve you
and advance your kingdom here on earth.
Thank you for your ultimate gift which is freely given to all of us.....
salvation in Jesus......our savior!"

No comments: