Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Friday, June 20, 2008

Visit to Onekama









On Thursday I went to my hometown of Onekama to visit my parents and a best friend from high school who I hadn't seen in 15 years. What a great time we had!! It's amazing how good friends can pick up where we left off.........and after a friendship of over 50 years we still feel that strong bond like sisters. Toni and I graduated in 1973....but went to school together since elementary. Our parents were always good friends too....so that made this reunion eve more special as we got together for lunch at Toni's parents house. Toni's sister Nikki was also there as were Toni's daughter Kayla and grand daughter Phoenix. We visited and reminisced about old times......enjoyed watching little Phoenix(2 years old) warm up to the company....and I was drawn back to my growing up years just by being in their house again. One of the first things I wanted to see when I got their was the room we used to play piano in and sing....and then Toni's room where we used to have our sleepovers!!




When Toni and I were Seniors, just before graduation, we went to Lake Michigan for a little "sun-tanning". Well....Toni had beautiful olive tone skin and tanned like a beauty......and I with my fair skin turned more like a red tomato and burned!!

I can remember walking the aisle at our commencement quite uncomfortable under my light blue gown.....due to the beach excursion! Toni however....looked radiant with her deep brown tone next to the baby blue gown!!! NOW.......I am a committed user of sun screen!!

Kayla, Eleanor, Devere, Nikki

Phoenix and Toni

Before going to Toni's parents house I was able to spend some precious time with my parents. They had just recently returned to Onekama from being at my sister Linda's house for several weeks while Mom received radiation treatments at the Alma clinic for her cancer. We visited over a cup of coffee and toast while we watched the many beautiful birds flit to and from the bird feeders. In the distance from the view of their dining room window was Portage Lake......a serene sight that brings back many fond memories. Then we retreated to the living room where I was pampered by my mom putting lotion on my thick skin.....something my husband does for me daily.....but it was a treat having my mom do that......taking me back to the "I feel like a little girl again" stage!! thank you mom!!



Phoenix and Toni

Phoenix and Kayla

Phoenix and I at the organ.....lots of little kids songs...with 2 fingers!


The day was delightful......and when I arrived home...I was pooped(not literally)...just tired...you know what I mean! As I reflect on the day and the blessings from it......I am happy and content!!!! and can't wait to visit again!

No comments: