Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Retirement Dinner and Family Fun

When you choose to work with kids and make it your career,
You have taken a path in life that some would not go near.
For to work with kids requires more than talent or special skills
It’s more than just a paycheck and a way to pay your bills.

The lives you touch, the lives you change are forever in your heart
The impact that you leave on them is felt right from the start.
Friends may say “I could never do what you do every day!”
Tell them you do it for the love of kids…and certainly not for the pay.

Kids can teach you many things if you give them half a chance
When to laugh, when to cry, and sometimes when to dance.
Looking back on our lives with them….lots of joy and sometimes stress..
We have been the ones who learned… we have been so blessed!








This was a poem that I wrote the day of the retirement dinner. I decided to post it here....because (LOL) I FORGOT to share it at the dinner!


The evening of the dinner each retiree has someone special speak about them and share some highlights of their career. I asked Paul Liabenow to be that special person! He shared some wonderful thoughts....some humorous and some that brought me to tears. Paul is the Superintendent of Cadillac Area Public Schools. He and Bonnie have been friends of ours for the past almost 30 years. It was an honor to have them share in this memorable evening.

After the presentation I was invited to come up to the podium and share some parting words. I thanked several people (staff, CAPS, my parents, my family, and most important, my husband).....and then I had every intention of sharing the poem at the end of the thanks....well...oops! I forgot...which is so unlike me:) The evening was terrific...and I will always hold this closure close to my heart!

Kurt and Heidi were here for the dinner with their family, as well as Jason, Emily and their family, plus Dad and Mom. I hope you enjoy the pics of this event. The captions should explain who everyone is!!


Ken and Judy

Emily, Annabelle, Jason
Kurt and the twins...Kirsten and Rachelle


Kenn, Isaac, Andrew, Jon, and Heidi

The Nichols Family table
(Ken was taking the picture)
Everyone was so impressed how well behaved our
grand kids were in the midst of all of the excitement!
Eight kids under the age of 5 1/2. I am sooooo looking
forward to when they are 15,14,13,12.5,12.5,12,12,11...
We can have a Jr. High Octet! 8 part harmony....or two quartets..
4 boys....4 girls....2 bass, 2 tenors, 2 sopranos, and 2 altos when
they are in High School!
My Sr. High buddies! They were so excited they were making it
on the Nichols Blog!!!
L-R Julie Netzley, Theresa Williams, Linda Feister, Janet Neyer,
Joyce Oatley Nancy Vollmar, Kathy Bryson.
Dad and Mom (Dale and Lois Hopkins)
I was grateful they could attend!

More Sr. High buddies!
L-R Marsha Grace, Sharon Tate,Pattie Neibauer,
Kris Darrow, Me, Todd Bruggema
Dave and Cindy Foley, Pat Shroeder, Jake Morris

Kathleen Bieri, Mrs. Warner, Jerry Sinkel, Marie Mercier

Diana Thomas,Elaine Keller, Laura Stewart

Bob and Jan Kellogg, Pat Briggs
Paul, Bonnie, and Jordan Liabenow
Board members Judy Coffey and Roger Hopkins
My thank yous
Superintendent and Good friend Paul Liabenow
(my corsage was tipping over.....oops)
Group Shot after the dinner
Here I am with Maynard Thompson, the principal who
first hired me at CAPS in 1977!!
My first and only job that lasted my entire career:)




Family Fun

Kirsten with our golden retriever Cash!
Cash's pedigree name is "Walkerview's Music Man"
because he was born the year I directed "The Music Man".
The opening number started out "Cash for the merchandise"
so consequently....his nickname became "Cash".
Baby Madeline....now 7 months

Kurt and Heidi's dog...."Gus"
Andrew getting his first pony ride on Babe


Jonny's turn

Next was Kirsten
Then it was Rachelle's turn...
she wasn't quite sure about this:)
Kirsten and cousin Seth

Relaxing in the living room
Rhino rides
This is fun!!
Kurt and the girls!
Grandpa and Jonny catching some "zzzzz's"
Andrew and upside down cousin Madeline

Isaac relaxing reading books
Annie waiting for a cup of juice:)
A little visit at the end of the day!
What a wonderful time we had celebrating with family and
friends this special occasion! I am beginning a new chapter in my life....and am looking forward to the pages of my book as they are written daily. I am most thankful for the Lord, My God, who is the author of my life and those pages! Despite what I face physically.....I AM NOT AFRAID! And I joyfully anticipate these "retirement" years:)
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

No comments: