Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Day is Coming:)






Our precious Grandchildren......Ages 1 to 6


We had a wonderful time last Saturday in Jenison as we celebrated Christmas with our immediate family, The day was filled with laughter, giggles, and the joyful anticipation as the children opened their gifts!!



We aren't the typical family when it comes to gift giving...a couple of years ago we all decided that we would gift the children at Christmas...and simply enjoy the fellowship of each other without all of the "buying" pressures....and $spending that comes along with it. There are 15 of us now....and we all enjoy the basics of life....a roof over our heads...clothes on our back...and food to eat. Our joy is found in being together...knowing that we are family...and that we can count on each other in the best of times and the worst of times.



I probably took over 100 pictures on Saturday...but have only added a few today. I decided to share a life experience instead.....the story you'll find at the end of this post.



We pray that you are your family will celebrate this Christmas "stress free"! That you enjoy and appreciate the "simple gifts" of life....that you make wonderful memories together!!



Don't let a day go by that you don't make an effort to make a difference in some one's life!!!! Don't miss the opportunity to be a blessing to those who surround you!





Merry Christmas!!







Mom and sons...(sorry Joel was a little "Scrooge")



Kurt, me, Jason


Emily, me, Heidi




Father and sons.......Jason is imitating Joel's pouty lip!!





Something to think about.....




On Monday, December 21st....just four days before Christmas I visited Cadillac Jr. High School where I shared the experiences of our trip to Washington with students from two Civics classes.


As I entered the first class....I had this calm feeling as if I had done this a hundred times.


The classroom teacher was in the room and the students were making their way through the door and to their assigned seats.




I studied each face as they entered the room and watched them interact with each other as they prepared for class. Some were quiet and reserved, others were loud and rowdy, and a handful of them came up and greeted me.




One particular young man however caught my attention as he settled into his seat, slipped his hand below his desk and secretly (or so he thought) began texting with his cell phone. Now I know from experience that cell phones are not to be used in class...and during my years as an educator I became very good at spotting them....no matter how "sneaky" the user was.




I quietly took a seat while the teacher took attendance and had students hand in their assignments from the day before. The young man seemed oblivious to what she was saying..continued his "secret" texting until she began her introduction of the "Guest Speaker" for the day....which was yours truly. As soon as I was introduced the young man walked over to his teacher asking for permission to leave the room for a moment, I suppose to get a drink of water or use the bathroom.




Instinctively I thought to myself, "he is looking for a way out and he has no interest in hearing what this guest speaker has to say". Curiously I watched as he left the room, smiled at the students, thanked the teacher for the introduction, and happily began to share my story.




The students were so attentive and seemed to hang on my every word. I don't know if it was because I had anything profound to say....rather I think it was my hard skin and contracted fingers....and the fact that I had an unusual disease that perked their curiosity. Lots of good questions were asked....to which I hoped I had an equally appropriate answer! The time was going by quickly.......in fact to my amazement, I realized that 25 minutes had passed by before our young man returned from his "out of class" adventure.




He looked a little agitated, as if he were waiting a response from his teacher....or maybe even from me?! I glanced his way....welcomed him back....and said that I was disappointed he missed the first part of my presentation. As he slumped into his chair, his teacher "matter of factly" said to him that she was going to mark him absent and that he should have not left the room for 25 minutes! Hoo boy.....upon hearing those words.....up he stood....backpack in hand...announcing that he could care less....and that he was "out of here"! There were a few expletives along the way....but I'll spare you the details.




Now spending 30+ years in teaching....this scene was not a shock to me...and I was able to continue on with the class with barely a bump in the road. But.....this young man......I could not forget! I gave my final comments, thanked the teacher and the class for the chance to share my story, and made my way down to the main office where I had parked my car.




As I entered the office....lo and behold....there sat the young man who just moments before had put on quite a scene. I decided I needed some closure to this incident so I made my way over to the row of seats where he was....and plopped down right next to him!! I think that was somewhat of a surprise to him, thinking maybe I was a little intimidated by him, but he doesn't know me very well:) I looked him right in the eyes and said...."I'm sorry you didn't get to hear me speak today! I think you would have found it very interesting if you weren't so worried about texting your friends!" He studied my face for just a moment....maybe in disbelief that I approached him after his "exit"......and in a very quiet voice said...."I'm sorry....". At which point I said....I accept your apology...and I hope that next time you are in that situation....you make a better choice....because people like me have something to offer students like you!





The young man smiled back at me and appeared to be relieved. I stood to leave....turned to him and said to him "Now can you help me zip up this jacket?"




This Christmas....who are the young people in your life that you can be there for? Take the opportunity to share your joy with them.......be a listening ear......be there to zip up a jacket!!! You just may help change an attitude or maybe a heart:)


No comments: