Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hopkins Update #3

We met with the doctor at West Shore hospital today and discussed plans for Mom when she comes home on Sunday. They took an additional xray today to evaluate the lungs and make sure that they sound good. The pain from her compression fractures has improved, which has alot to do with the liquid (1 liter) being drained from her lung.

The doctor talked with us about a plan when Mom comes home, which will include a visiting nurse/home health care for awhile until she makes significant improvement. Because they live in a tri-level home (with NO main floor bathroom) they will provide her with a commode....to lessen her need to walk up the stairs all the time.

I came home this afternoon after we met with the doctor....Linda is staying one more night to be with Dad and help bring Mom home on Sunday. Ken and I will go to Onekama Sunday after church to help them get settled in/organize medicine....and get settled in for the coming week. We are also going to provide them with names and numbers of friends in Onekama that they can call if they have a need.

We are so thankful for the many emails we received from people praying for them....and wondering what they can do to help. Mark Ward came over this afternoon and filled their bird feeders...and friends Ron and Nan, and Dan and Marlene visited at the hospital. Linda and I were so glad to be able to be there together with our folks...and like Dad says "Here we are....just the 4 of us again".

I always am so excited to see how God works in situations like these....how He provides comfort, special people, and just the right timing!! When the ambulance arrived at the house Friday morning it was there within ten minutes of the 911 call. I didn't feel that I was able to help Mom down the stairs...and Dad was concerned about the compression fractures and bringing her down the stairs.
So....."Sclero-woman" and "super Dad" opted out of this and left it to the pros. well....lo and behold....I knew two of the pros...one of whom I graduated from Onekama high School with back in 1973!! Then when we arrived at the hospital to check Mom in....the woman that runs the main switchboard/check in area was one of my BEST friends from high school!!! Sandi and I just hugged and hugged......and all of the memories and special times we shared just flooded my brain!!!! Sandi was like a daughter to our folks...so it was very calming to Dad and I as we arrived!


Later in the afternoon when the dietitian arrived to Mom's room to order her supper...it was Sandi's sister Pam!! Pam is just like family too....so again there was another special person God put in our path!! The nurses were all great to Mom and made our family as comfortable as possible! God bless those who work in health care.......they are precious:)

Just before I left on Saturday, I stopped by the nurses station briefly..and our conversation turned to scleroderma (hmmm....how did that happen?) Anyway....I used it as a "teachable" moment. I was surprised to find that only 1 out of the 6 nurses at the station were familiar with the disease. I shared a little bit of information....but mostly shared by the example of my skin! I walked out of the hospital with DETERMINATION......that before the end of this year.....I want to share my story and the impact of this disease with as many health care personnel as possible! Okay....so I may not be teaching in the classroom and directing choirs...but I am still a teacher at heart and the doctors offices/hospitals/etc. are my new classroom!! Good night:)

1 comment:

GrannyPam said...

Judy, I am certainly happy to hear that you Mom has improved. And, it is so like you to find a way to help by teaching! You are the little engine that CAN!