Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hand Therapy......No pain No gain





Once again I am back in hand therapy for my contracted hands and am excited to report that I am showing "slight" improvement! Now by "slight" I just mean baby steps.....but I'll take it!!!



My therapy is being done at Mercy Rehab Services....next to Mercy Hospital and my primary therapist is Ilia.


The therapy itself involves pulling, stretching, pulling, pushing, more stretching.....and at times when certain nerves are involved it can REALLY hurt! But like my title of the blog says....."No pain...No gain". I am learning to endure it....keep my mind off from it when it's being done....and just stay focused on tolerating the manipulation so that I can improve!


It actually is quite alot like parenting:) When your kids are growing up there is alot of pulling, pushing, (shoving), stretching....and occasional manipulation....but always staying focused on God's direction for our lives and seeking to improve ourselves for His glory!


My scleroderma is stable and it does not appear to be worsening! I continue to do what my body tolerates....and get lots of rest. In February I will be featured on the cover of the "Scerloderma Voice" magazine. Woo Hoo.....I would have never believed I could be a "Cover Girl"!! LOL....not your typical one that's for sure! In addition there will be an article about my journey with scleroderma and my personal story on how I am managing this life change. I was very excited about this opportunity....and look forward to sharing the issue with you:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Please post a reminder for us on Facebook, too so we don't miss your cover-girl-debut! Am so looking forward to reading the article, too! Good luck to you this year, hope you continue to make baby steps in slowing the progression of scleroderma!