Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Updates from the Home front

Updates from the Home front
1. Now that we have the in home uvb light unit I am able take treatments three times/week.
2. My occupational therapy at mercy Rehab has ended. I was there for 7 months...and unless you can prove measurable improvement....insurance will deny continued coverage. My experience there was wonderful!! My therapists were outstanding....and I made some lasting friendships with Ilia, Shari, and Yvonne.
3. We went to U of M Brighton Health Center last Wednesday for an appointment with my Scleroderma Doctor. She said I "looked good"! I said that's because I'm wearing a pink shirt and I put makeup on!!! We chuckled! anyway....once again, I am no better, no worse....I am remaining "stable". that still is very good news for us! PTL
The important thing is that the disease still has not infiltrated any internal part of me.
I will continue on the same course of treatment.....and pray God's healing touch upon my body....and peace of mind in my heart and soul.
4. We have received many encouraging emails in the past few days.....thank you so much for your love and faithfulness in praying. I had visits from Jenna and Tonya, and a visit from Sarah Lamphere just before she headed off to college. I also spent some time at school, met with Corie, saw many old friends....and am beginning to cope with my emotions much better as I face not going back to work.
5. God blessed us immensely through a $ gift from some very dear friends of ours. We continue to marvel at how God supplies our needs on a daily basis.....when we least expect it...He uses others to encourage us...and stand by us through this trial. We are deeply grateful.
6. We were able to spend time with Ken's boss David....who came to our home for dinner last Tuesday. We had a wonderful time, Emily and the kids joined us (Jason was out of town)....and Annabelle warmed right up to David!! He said it reminded him of when his daughters were little!! David has quite the southern accent to his voice...which really intrigued Joel! Ken fixed his "ribs" recipe....and we had a brownie sundae for dessert! Yum!! after supper we showed David around the property and took a 4 X 4 ride out back. What a great visit we had! Thank you once again David for all you do....and for how understanding you have been of my health situation.
7. On Friday I got to babysit grand kids!!!! Not just Isaac and Seth....but Annabelle too! I think this is the first time I've taken all three of Jason and Emily's kids It was pretty uneventful because Seth and Annie napped most of the time....but I did want to share one exciting moment! My hesitation in watching Annabelle has always been the issue of "diapers"
Given the condition of my hands...I was uncertain whether or not I could even handle a diaper. Well......my opportunity arrived! and not just any diaper......a poopy diaper!
I thought..."Oh no!! How am I going to do this?" Thankfully Annabelle was the most patient little toddler in the world! What would normally take her Mommy just moments to do...took this Grandma almost 7 minutes! Emily would usually use a couple of diaper wipes.....I used 6!
Annabelle just laid there, motionless and grinning!!! Probably trying to figure out what was taking me sooooo long! After successfully getting her cleaned and the new diaper on...I realized that I could not "snap" the outfit....so I had to call upon "Uncle Joel" who quickly completed the task. So....Friday was for me a new adventure....and a sense of accomplishment! This was actually a "poopy diaper" that meant something to me!!!!
Praying you all will have a relaxing and safe long weekend. and that the time you spend with family and friends will be sweet and memorable!


Seth, Isaac, and Annabelle


Annabelle and her "Baby doll"

Isaac and the Wii board......what I would give to have this much energy!

1 comment:

Emily Rose Nichols said...

I absolutely love the way Annabelle is staring at the camera before she picks up her "baby"!
I often find myself giving people that blank stare as well. haha

Emily