Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Saturday, August 2, 2008

What seemed like a long week....quickly came to an end!

This was a dreaded "medical procedure week" where I had an appointment in GR for the good old "scopes!"......you know the one your supposed to get when you turn the magic age of 50!
Well.....I'm a couple of years over due.....but am glad to say now that it's over!
I'll spare you the preparation details (yechh) but will share with you a few memorable moments.
First of all.....thanks once again to my amazing husband who is always there to support and comfort me. Unfortunately we ran into the same IV problem we had at the last emergency visit.
The one saving grace was that the RN that was assigned to put in my IV localized the area first with a shot of lydocane(sp) before trying to insert it. The sad news is that he had to try this procedure five times before he felt pretty confident that he found a vein. Well....once I got back to the surgical area and the nurse put in the med that's supposed to sedate me....it didn't work...so they ended up putting the IV in my right arm just below my shoulder....then I was out like a light!

Probably another low point was having three of the attending nurses comment on my scleroderma. I guess I was pretty unique and they have not seen a case like mine. Two of them mentioned that I was the 'worst" case they have ever seen!! Now that made me feel good! I have come to realize that some people just don't think before they speak....and unintentionally can be hurtful with their words without even realizing it. That makes me even more aware of how sensitive I am to others.....seeking to meet their needs...their comfort....and not my own. It's not about "us" or "me" it's about how I represent Jesus to others.....and how He shines through my life!

Now the good news!!! The Dr. came out and talked to Ken about the results saying that the colon looked good (no polyps...cancer...etc), the esophagus looked normal...and the only thing questionable may be something they call "watermelon stomach" http://www.sclero.org/medical/symptoms/gi/watermelon-stomach.html
He is sending tissues in for biopsy and we should get the results soon. I am not going to worry about this....I am just thankful it is behind (no pun intended) me!

On the way to GR we stopped at Kurt and Heidi's for a brief visit before going over to my appointment. We were pleasantly surprised by seeing Jason and Emily (and kids) there also! They had stopped by Kurt's on the way back from a great week at Gull Lake Bible Conference to see me before the procedure. I tell you......it's great to feel the love and support of family when you are going through trials.....it was equally as important to Ken to know his son's and daughter-in-laws were there to encourage him. Thanks Kurt and Heidi for feeding Ken lunch. Even though I could just sit back and "smell" the food....the company was nice! Jonny kept offering me a bite of his pbj sandwich.....it was very hard to resist! It was wonderful seeing everyone!

A special thank you to Pastor Bart Glupker http://bdglupker.blogspot.com/ who went to the clinic and kept Ken company while I was "out". We really appreciated having you pray with us, laugh with us, and for being such a good friend and pastor.

Tomorrow's a new day....a better day.....a gift from God. I will never take it for granted.

No comments: