Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Fond Farwell


Today we attended the funeral of our 90 year old Aunt Zelda May from Frankfort, Michigan. It was a sweet time of fellowship with our family and extended family. Aunt Zelda (our Dad's older sister) lived a full and busy life. She raised 5 sons, Roger, Ronald, Greg, Marcus, and David. My cousins Roger and Ronald are twins....and at the funeral we found out that Greg's daughter is expecting twin boys very shortly!!! Hmmmmm...maybe our twin grand-daughters came from Kurt's side of the family??:)


Anyway....we really enjoyed seeing our cousins again and spending time visiting. The last time we were together was at cousin Gregory's funeral a couple of years ago. My sister Linda and I were asked to sing at Aunt Zelda's funeral.....so we did an acappella version of "Amazing Grace". Linda and I really loved singing together again....and I know the family appreciated it.


As I looked around today at my cousins, their children, and their grandchildren.....it occurred to me how fast the time has gone by. It seems just yesterday we were kids growing up....having holidays at Aunts and Uncles....then turn around...zip go the years...and here we are...sharing the memories and bidding farewell to our last Aunt here on earth.


As I reminisced with family before our song....I encouraged that the family still keep connected.....and stay in touch.....even though our aunt has passed away. I feel that one thing she would have desired is to keep the "tie that binds"........... keep this generation and the ones to follow a part of each others lives...whether it be through phone, email, blogs, or letters.


Families really have fascinating stories and a wonderful heritage to share with each other.....generation after generation.....I hope we can keep faithful to that task. Aunt Zelda believed in Jesus and was ready to go home to glory. She touched many lives.......and she will be fondly remembered by all who knew her.


I have included a couple of pictures taken July 11, 2005.






I have included a few pictures taken July 11, 2005.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about the loss of your aunt. I hope you and your cousins will find ways to stay in touch.