Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Future Plans


I guess there's no better time than the present to share with you the news that I will not be returning to teaching next year and will be retiring.
Not of my own choosing mind you....but because my illness prevents me from doing my job. I wrestled with this decision over and over in the beginning....still holding out that one day I would improve to the point that I could teach five performing groups a day, handle all of the concerts, festivals, and produce great musicals. But God has other plans for me...and I have great peace in my heart regarding this decision.
After almost 31 years in the classroom...retirement seemed a long way off!
I always imagined the day I would decide to retire would be the day I felt I needed to "move on" for the sake of the program. I always pictured my "last concert" my "fond farewell to students"...you know, my "Mrs. Nichols Opus". But alas, it wasn't meant to be.....and again, all a special part of God's design in my life!
Now I have opportunities to reach out in different ways than I had time for before. My life is a much slower pace....but still my days are filled with family, joy, prayer, and good conversation.
We look at this as a new chapter in our lives and are excited to see the pages of the book unfold! Things have fallen into place already such as long term disability, I was awarded social security disability, and have submitted my application for retirement disability. Everything takes a lot of time....but so far, all doors have been opened and things are working out for a smooth transition into retirement. Not the way I planned....but the way God intended and knew way in advance!
Thank you all once again for your love and support as I have battled this disease called "scleroderma". Thank you to our family and friends for being there any time we needed you. We are grateful to each of you for your prayer support and your church's prayer support. We know my story has reached many people....and our desire is that we would continue to be an encouragement to others as we meet the daily challenges of my health.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy,
I guess we knew this day would come, apart from the Lord healing you completely (which is still within His awesome power).
The Lord gave you a profession wedded with your ability and passion: what a wonderful gift! You gave your students much more than textbook lessons, you gave each a piece of yourself that will blossom and bring fruit in its season. It's hard to understand why the Lord removed you from the classroom, but if it's not clear by then, we'll ask Him when we see him! (Maybe He just wanted your eight grandchildren to know you better.) We love you and pray for you.
Anne

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Nichols...I happened on your website and just wanted to say it's hard to imagine Cadillac Choir without you. Your class was the highlight of school for me, and taught me about so much more than music--performance, teamwork, preparation, focus, self control, taking criticism, and most of all, how good it feels to learn and have a good time doing it. (And I guess we learned a little about the world of cheese & sausage, too... :)) I look back and think THAT is what education should always be like. I am so grateful to have gone through the ranks during your tenure--never forget how many people you have touched and how fondly we remember our time with you, the music, and our choir classmates!

I was so surprised and concerned to read about your scleroderma, but I am not surprised that you handle it with the grace, humor, energy, and determination that I have read in the pages of your blog tonight. I am tickled to see you surrounded by grandkids. I remember so clearly when your "little guys" were your sons, how much we hated it when you went out on maternity leave, and how we loved seeing the pictures and having them come to the classroom once in a while with Mr. Nichols.

You are a brave, fun, strong woman, and you continue to be a tremendous example to your students. Thank you for everything you've done for us over the years. I wish you health, love, and peace.

Fondly,

Molly O'Neill Whelan