Living With Scleroderma With a Smile

">

Saturday, September 20, 2008

And this too shall pass.............

Okay......before I even get started on this blog I want you to know that I have Ken's permission to post this blog....and the contents there in !!

In the early hours of the morning Ken woke up in much discomfort which I would refer to as extreme pain and agony! We let a little time pass....but things did not improve....and I was getting a little nervous as to whether to call 911 or drive him to ER myself. Well we decided it wasn't a good idea for me to drive him in....and 911 may have been a little more than he needed....so we did the next best thing and called our neighbors Alan and Diane Cooper. I explained the situation and within minutes Alan was here to pick up my husband to take him to Mercy Hospital's ER. I felt helpless as to what I could do for him....so I went into my "organization mode".

The first thing I did was call the ER and alert them to the fact that my husband was coming in with extreme lower back pain, and that my own medical diagnosis was that it was probably kidney stones (an educated guess based on his symptoms....which I will spare you the rest of the details) The receptionist at the ER desk must have recognized me by name because she responded "Oh hi Mrs. Nichols....let's get started with the registration". So by the time Alan arrived with Ken....they had the door opened waiting for him and took Ken immediately into a room, started an IV and made him comfortable. Wow.....what a blessing!!!!! No waiting in aisle one!!

The next calls I proceeded to make were to our sons and daughter-in-laws so they could pray and be informed as to what their Dad was going through. I am so thankful as a family we can communicate at any hour of the day to be prayer support for one another.!!

Well after a brief stay in ER which included a CT scan, Ken was diagnosed with
kidney stones and was home by 9:00 a.m. with two prescriptions...and to basically "wait it out".
If you are not familiar with the pain of kidney stones.....you could liken it to that of laboring and birthing a baby......or pulling your bottom lip up over your head!!!

Of course.....in any crisis....we have to consider our son Joel and his reaction! He woke up in the early a.m. just before Alan picked Ken up......and had numerous questions....which Ken and I answered calmly as to not stir Joel up more than he was. Well upon Ken's return home....and a brief description of what "kidney stones" were....Joel forthrightly asked Ken if he had eaten or swallowed a rock or pebbles and that's how they got in his kidneys!!!!! I could not control my laughter as I heard the question.....but I was in another room so Ken and Joel could not witness this reaction.

So here we are.......on a beautiful Saturday "waiting it out". I am amazed how Ken continues to carry on his activities despite the suspense!!! My husband doesn't let much get him down....but this morning's episode did "bring him to his knees"......literally speaking.
We would appreciate your prayers for Ken during the next few hours, days, weeks.....that he is not in too much pain and that "this too shall pass". Well actually I should say..."that these two or three shall pass!"

(Oh: and yes......he is drinking alot of water from now on:)

No comments: